Subscribe to Our Blog Via Email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, June 25, 2012

A Rwandan Church Experience


Sunday, June 24th

Francesca - Today, we had the opportunity to visit a local church in Rwanda that some of the YWAM staff attend. The travel there was quite the adventure! After two hours of switching busses and driving on bumpy dirt roads, we arrived at a small building full of people excited to worship God together.  As the congregation was singing, dancing, and praying, all I could do was stand in awe. I don’t think I have ever seen something so beautiful. It showed me how church should be and how passionate we should be when we pray and worship. I had the opportunity to talk to the congregation about integrity. Speaking to a group of Rwandans in a church was something totally out of my comfort zone, and I was far from excited when I was given this task. It turned out to be one of the most fulfilling,  impactful, and powerful moments in my life.

Hayden - Today I, along with Francesca, Mike, and Joel, attended a small local church. Joel, Fran, and I all sat in the pastors section along with Mike and all preached to the congregation. It was a breath taking experience. I was so nervous that my testimony would go horribly wrong but it went the exact opposite and turned into one of the most memorable experiences of my life. It was amazing watching them worship because they do it with so much passion and power. Every prayer and song is filled with a fire that you don’t always see back home.

Jasper - I was excited to go with Kayla, Katlyn, Scott, Jordan, Bill, and Isaac to a nearby church only accessible by a huge, muddy, cratered road. While I had already been overwhelmed by the passion and intensity of worship here, the service at church absolutely set me on fire. The congregation was predominantly young people, and seeing guys my age moved to tears made me realize how much bigger God is than my understanding. I think my favorite song was the one called “Hosanna,” where the title was the only word sung and was accompanied by mandatory jumping. In fact, if you didn’t start jumping, an enthusiastic young man would come over and beckon with open arms, pantomiming the jump-dance until you gave in. I have never seen an entire church leaping and screaming, praising God not just with their words but with their whole bodies. It makes you think about church back home. When was the last time any of us left church dripping in sweat? Worship should be loud. Worship should be sweaty. Worship should be shameless and real.

Best dancer award: Scott Mulhern. Best quote: Isaac Morse, during his testimony- “boy, it sure is raining out there.” Best snack: cornbread muffins that I snuck while the 4 hour service wound down. Mom and Dad, if you are reading this, I remembered to take my malaria pills today, and I haven’t gotten kidnapped yet. 




1 comment:

jen said...

I have the feeling that we are going to learn a lot from these students about God, worship, and community. Bring it on! I can't wait to experience our God like they are!!!!