Subscribe to Our Blog Via Email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How YWAM Rwanda Started

I've been in Rwanda for almost a week now I think, I can't be sure because time passes strangely here. I'm surprised by how much I love it here. Obviously it's very different from home, apart from showering with buckets and cold water, or not having a real toilet, or the weather actually being warm, the people here are completely different. It may just be because we are foreigners but when we are walking down the street people will smile and say hello and go out of their way to shake your hand. These people, who have suffered so much and have so little, care more about blessing us and praying for us than fixing their own problems and their selflessness takes my breath away. This morning we walked a little bit down the road from the YWAM base to visit women who are either widows or have been effected by HIV/AIDS through the APRICOM ministry. What amazed me was how quickly you could go from stores and paved roads and sidewalks to dirt "roads" that walking down was more like hiking. The woman we were trying to visit ended up not being home but I got a real taste of the Africa I was expecting. Later in the day we visited the couple who formed YWAM Rwanda. It was amazing to learn their story, how they were called seperately to come back to Rwanda after the genocide and how much they have accomplished when all they had to start out with was $100. Over 15 years later they have this amazing base with two schools and the ability to house dozens of people. I was left speechless at their compassion and drive to make a change in Rwanda. After having delicious local snacks and getting to meet an adorable dog, we made our way back to base. At this point, if I am being honest, I just wanted to go to sleep. I mean, mission trips really take it out of you and the last thing I wanted to hear from Mike was "the next couple hours..." but oh, how I am eating my own words. We started with some much needed alone time, and for about 20 minutes we were left to ourselves to inwardly reflect on struggles and other things that are keeping us from being truly present here. That in itself was an amazing and difficult time. It's one thing to be able to point at someone else and name their flaws but it is a whole 'nother ball game to have to think about your own flaws with no distractions or excuses. Afterwards we met back in Kayla, Raleigh, Jen and Karen's house for communion. Except, to our surprise, we first had to give a confession, mainly concerning the struggles you thought about during your alone time, with another person on the team. Truthfully I had a couple moments of panic. I had never made myself that vulnerable in front of another person but after a few deep breathes to calm down I realized if I had to confess to anyone I would want it to be one of the people in front of me, probably any of the people in front of me actually. So Carin and I seperated ourselves from the group and we had the opportunity to be completely honest with eachother. For the sake of confidentiality I won't say much more about it other than how much, in that moment and all of the time I guess, I love Carin. (Hopefully you'll read this Carin!) After we each confessed to the other we met back with the group for communion and a little impromtu singing. As I am writing I am sitting outside listening to my team sing in the candlelight (the electricity here can be pretty spotty sometimes) I can't help thinking how grateful I am to have the opportunity to be in such a beautiful country with such beautiful people. Just a short week from now we will all be on an airplane traveling back home, but until then I can't wait for all of amazing experiences, whether it be washing the feet of widows, learning to cook over a fire, or simply walking down the streets of Kigali, that we will share.

Kyra 




2 comments:

jen said...

Kyra- I love what you wrote, and I can't wait to hear more :)

Rebecca C said...

I was awake a LOT during the night -- sooo tired now, this morning! -- and each time I looked at the clock, I would add 9 hours to it and figure what time it was there, wondering what you all were doing and praying for you.

Kyra! You were my special pray-for person during the night so it's absolutely wonderful to get to read this long personal report from you this very morning! So cool, and I'm happy to hear how it's going for you. What an amazingly rich time.

Dear introverts on the trip, I also prayed for each of you.
love, Rebecca