Subscribe to Our Blog Via Email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, June 24, 2013

El 24 de Junio

We have arrived in Panama and are just wrapping up our first full day in the country!!! Our trip down could not have gone anymore smoothly, from our check in at the airport, to on-time plane travel, and hassle-free immigration and customs. Our team is full of energy and has jumped into this adventure with everything they have.

Here are Hunter and Alexis's description of our first day here...

Fun. I’m blogging in Panama. The place I have been talking about for months. It is so much more amazing that I ever thought it would be. And its only the first full day!!!! I saw Gods work everywhere today. I felt it personally in myself. I helped teach a 4th grade bible class. It was awesome. The kids understood and finished the teachers worksheet with my help. I saw many smiles and it was so contagious. The highlight of my day was when we were at the orphanage. I talked as much I could with the little Spanish I have leaned to a young 12 year old girl who had been there for 8 years. She told me that she sees her mom 2 Sundays of each month. She was the sweetest girl. I also successfully taught her the cup song I have been learning even through our language barrier. It was so much fun. I think this was the best use of the word fun ever! I can not wait to see where the nudge takes me tomorrow! - Hunter

Today was my first official day in Panama. I still can’t believe I’m in this beautiful country! I have dreamt about this place since I was little, now I’m actually here. Of course it’s not everything I expected, but that’s what makes it better. After eating breakfast and having devotional, we went to an elementary school to help out. The children there were filled with life. I can still see them squeal with excitement and running to us with open hands, ready to receive our love. Later on, I helped out with teaching the 1st grade English class. It was unbelievable how smart the kids were and how much English they already knew. At lunch I learned that even in Panama you still can’t escape the rain. After lunch we went to the Paraiso Casa and learned about the adoption system and Ley 61 (law 61), which was generally about the difficulties of adopting in Panama. Right after, we went to an orphanage that ranged from 10 month babies to 18 year olds. I was able to spend my time with toddlers who were tragically were born with HIV. The part that most awed me the most was that the kids looked perfectly normal. Full of energy, joy in their eyes, and wiling to express there love with anyone. Now it almost time for dinner, and I can’t wait to go back tomorrow. Already God has opened my eyes to wonderful new things, and I can’t wait for the next one. - Alexis J.

2 comments:

Heather said...

SO great to hear from you guys! People keep asking how you all are doing. Sounds like you had a great first day. Love you all!!

Gretchen Killeen said...

Glad you made it safely!!!! Hugs to all of you!
Gretchen Killeen