Subscribe to Our Blog Via Email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Reflections on Scott's last weekend

So if you missed last night's party it was pretty sweet. I'll try to post some pictures if I can get a hold of some. Jen and I were dressed up as Mormon missionaries and rode in on bicycles. It was pretty funny. We were going "further in mission." Many of you know that Scott is really into bicycling and that was one of the themes last night. All the staff came in dressed in black leather Harley gear which was pretty hilarious. Then Jen and I came in. What most people didn't know is that I had misplaced our two black ties and could not find them anywhere. While we were getting dressed in our black slacks, white button-up shirts, name tags, and bike helmets we could not find the ties. We both made several trips out to my truck looking for them. So we ended up incorporating it into the skit. Jen's response to the rest of the staff was, "Scott told us to go further in mission." To which I replied, "but how can we be missionaries without our black ties?!" Hopefully I can track down a good video of it and I'll post a You Tube link here.

This morning Scott preached a beautiful sermon. His benediction (good word) to us has definitely been good. I've appreciated his authenticity and desire for living as part of the kingdom of God.

2 comments:

Jen Easton said...

Saturday was bittersweet, if was fun thanking Scott for everything that he has done over the years, but sad knowing that he was really leaving. I'm going to miss that guy a lot.

It's funny, when I was in High School here at HCC, Pastor Ernie retired and Scott took over, and I didn't really pay any attention to the whole thing. To me it seemed like I didn't have a voice and on top of that, I thought that it wouldn't really effect me anyway. What I realized yesterday though was that Pastor Scott coming here made a huge difference for me. And not just because I eventually started working here, my last few years in the youth group were affected by how much he noticed and cared for our youth group.

For example, back when I was volunteering with the middle school, I went on a winter retreat and took a group photo with the then 8th grade guys (now graduating senior guys). Then in January I brought the photo to Beach Freeze '07 and we got the senior guys together and tried to redo the photo with everyone in their original places. I loved how the photos looked and showed them to the staff. But when I showed it to Scott, he immediately asked where the three guys missing from the original photo were (that weren't a part of our youth group anymore) and how they were doing. He even remembered two of their names (this is from a photo taken over 5 years ago). This is the Scott I will remember. A man that loved andtruly cared about people.

I just hope the students at HCC realize that the person that will be chosen to lead our church will effect the youth group. This will be the most important decision our church will make and I hope that we find someone with as much heart as Scott had. And I also hope that our students realize that they have a voice in who gets chosen and to not just sit and do nothing, but choose to be a part of it.

Blake Merwin said...

Well said Jen.

This is difficult because Harbor Cov is not just an institution or an organization, it is a family. Or at least I feel that connection with the staff team. Maybe others in the congregation feel differently, who knows. But part of me feels like I'm losing a family member.